Bicycle Accident Lawyers in NYC: Lawsuits & Compensation
Riding a bicycle is one of the most common ways that New York City residents travel throughout Manhattan and its surrounding boroughs. When a bicycle accident occurs due to another driver or pedestrian’s negligence, injured victims may be entitled to compensation. Contacting an NYC bicycle accident attorney helps victims win settlements that cover medical expenses, time spent out of work, and other damages, pain and suffering.
Do You Need a Lawyer to File a Bike Accident Lawsuit in NYC?
While it may seem tempting to try to resolve things alone and avoid navigating the complex legal system, this method almost never works in the favor of injured victims. New York is a no-fault state, which makes pushing for maximum compensation after a bicycle accident very difficult without legal assistance.
Attorneys who have years of experience with NYC bicycle accident victims know what it takes to maximize the injured victim’s settlement, by minimizing (and in most cases, eliminating) the amount of negligence they contributed to causing the accident.
Bike Accident Lawsuits
Bike accident lawsuits can lead to worthwhile compensation for bike accident victims. But winning a proper settlement never a sure thing, especially since New York is a no-fault state.
No-fault states like New York make it particularly difficult for accident victims to prove that their injuries were the direct result of the negligence of another person. Bicycle accident attorneys can assist with such cases by:
- Helping to gather and explain evidence to a jury or judge
- Coaching bike accident victims in their behavior or testimony
- Pointing out flaws in the testimony of the defendant and their legal team
- And more
Possible Compensation from Successful Lawsuits
Bicycle accident lawsuits can help cover these costs through compensation extracted from at-fault parties, including drivers, other bicyclists, or even bike manufacturing companies. Compensation can help pay for:
- The past and future medical expenses for any injuries obtained directly because of the bicycle accident in question
- Loss of ability or income if a bike accident resulted in a disability
- Loss of quality of life if the accident resulted in a disability
- Pain and suffering
- The cost to repair or replace a bicycle or other equipment
- And more
But obtaining the maximum amount of compensation is only possible with expert legal assistance. It’s very difficult to win a bicycle accident court case with bike accident attorneys assisting.
Bicyclists and Accidents in NYC: A Statistical Snapshot
Official 2018 data from the New York Department of Transportation (NYDOT) gives insight into the amount and frequency of bicycle accidents experienced throughout the city and surrounding boroughs. In 2018 alone, there were nearly 5,500 total bicycle accidents.
Additional statistical data from the NYDOT shows yearly averages regarding the types of bicycle accidents that occur in NYC:
- 4,000 bike accidents involve motor vehicles
- 300 accidents involve only bicycles
- 270 accidents involve both bicyclists and pedestrians
- Of these accidents, an average of 10 each year result in fatalities
- Including all those involved in bike accidents, an average of 10,000 people are seriously injured each year
Where Do Most NYC Bike Accidents Occur?
The majority of bike accidents in the city occur in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. Of all the New York City boroughs, Staten Island had the fewest accidents in 2018 at just 77 bicycle accidents for the whole year.
Common Injuries from Bike Accidents in NYC
Bike accidents and their injuries can be relatively minor or can be quite serious. The presence of a motor vehicle in a bicycle accident dramatically increases the likelihood of serious injuries and fatalities. Bicyclists are typically not well protected in the event they contact a moving motor vehicle. Inattentive drivers can cause serious harm to bicyclists, pedestrians, and other drivers.
According to official data from the AARP, the most common bike injuries in NYC include:
- Acute trauma, such as lacerations, road rash, dislocations, and fractures
- Head injuries, which occur in between 22% and 47% of injured bicyclists. These are particularly more likely if a collision occurs with a motor vehicle
- Broken bones
- And more
Even when wearing protective gear, bicycle accidents can be traumatic, and often lead to long-lasting physical or economic repercussions.
Contact a NYC Bike Accident Attorney
With over 50 years of experience handling bike accident victims throughout New York City, Sobo & Sobo knows what it takes to win. Contact a NYC bicycle accident online or call 855-468-7626 for a free consultation, and explore the value of your case. And at Sobo & Sobo, we don’t get paid unless we win a portion of your settlement. That means our NYC clients never have to pay us out of pocket.